Budget at a Glance
- In this issue of CRE Explains, we’re breaking down some of the Budget 2021 investments that will impact Indigenous youth and their communities the most.
- Budget 2021 is the first full budget in two years.
- Leading up to this budget, the conversation was focused on how and whether it would address Canada’s ballooning debt, fight the ongoing pandemic and pandemic-related job losses, as well as any follow-up on promises like investments in combatting systemic discrimination.
- The highlight of this budget is a $30 billion national child care program, which includes $2.5 billion over the next five years in Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care (p. 97-105).
- Budget 2021 also sets aside specific pots of money to support First Nations priorities (p. 265-267), Inuit priorities (p. 268-269), and Métis priorities (p. 270-271).
Read the Report
We will continue to keep an eye on any announcements related to Budget 2021 and take note of how these will impact Indigenous youth and communities. Stay tuned for updates here as we learn more about the outcomes of these commitments.
For more information, to let us know your thoughts, or to suggest a topic for the CRE Explains series, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.