The Black Indigenous Creative Youth Solidarity Initiative will bring attention to the intertwined histories of Black and Indigenous peoples across Canada. By bringing together creatives, makers, emerging artists and everyone in between to participate in this virtual art residency, we begin to explore the stories that they don’t tell.
This project will culminate in an online art exhibition. It will showcase the stories the artists seek to bring life and light to.
Youth leaders (ages 18-29) who identify as Black and/or Indigenous from across the country can apply to participate in an 8-week program (December – February) unpacking history and untold stories of Black Canada. The program will allow participants to develop tools and skills for practicing solidarity and paving a new way forward. Professionals from the art world will also act as mentors for the participants. Participants will also receive a 1000$ stipend. Through a series of workshops and skill-building sessions, Youth Leaders will gain both knowledge about Canada and its relationship to Black and Indigenous realities. The art exhibition developed will then be released to the public for Black History Month (February 2021).
- Recruitment Period: Oct 22-Nov 6
- Interview Period: Nov 9-13
- First Meeting: Week of Nov 23
- Program Duration: Dec-Feb
- Art show website launch: Feb 22
- I am between 18 and 29 years of age;
- I am a permanent resident or citizen of Canada or have Refugee status (a requirement of the project funder);
- I am excited to work in a team of Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth;
- I am motivated to challenge myself and others to learn more about diverse Indigenous histories, cultures and topics as well as the realities of non-Indigenous communities in Canada;
- I want to dispel harmful stereotypes and myths that divide communities on these lands;
- I identify as Black and/or First Nations, Inuit or Métis OR I have some knowledge about First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities in my region, with a strong interest in learning more;
- If selected, I take full responsibility to obtain and submit a Vulnerable Sector Check prior to the training (expenses covered by CRE)
Applications are now closed.