Centre for Indigenous Policy and Research
What is The Network?
In response to TRC Call to Action 66, a key deliverable of our pilot program, CRE has begun to build The Network, which entails establishing “…a national network to share information and best practices.” Guided by an Engagement Framework, The Network has two main components;
- Sharing information, opportunities and best practices in an efficient and effective manner;
- Enhancing the quality and quantity of engagement opportunities for Indigenous youth
Each month, members of The Network will have an opportunity to submit any information, opportunities, stories, or best practices with us to send out in a comprehensive message to the rest of The Network members. This will allow for Indigenous youth, communities, and larger organizations to share their hard work and successes with a wider audience; ultimately increasing reach and impact, and building more connections of Indigenous leaders across the country. Launched in mid-December 2020, The Network will continue to grow and expand in order for it to have the most representation possible.
We will also be working to improve the quality of engagement opportunities that are provided to Indigenous youth. With the support of The Network, CRE will create a process by which Indigenous youth have access to higher quality, and higher quantities of engagement opportunities. Organizations, corporations, and government departments will submit a Request for Engagement form which will ask questions ensuring that their engagement will follow the principles of our Framework- and will be in the best interest of Indigenous youth from start to finish. Furthermore, to increase relevance, the form will ask questions that will allow us to direct their request to Indigenous youth who will be most impacted by the topic or issue. Any requests that do not meet the standards for engagement will not be passed along to youth. This aims to create more safety and opportunity for Indigenous youth to share their voice and perspective in a good way.
The framework itself will be an important component of this initiative as it will outline our engagement protocols and principles with Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth in all relationships and partnerships. This piece has been co-developed with staff and youth through respectful engagement. The priority is to establish an active, ethical reconciliation process that includes guidance around data sovereignty, consent, respectful, and reciprocal relationship building between parties participating in engagement initiatives. Distinction-based Indigenous worldviews will be cemented within the framework, in addition to ensuring the framework is flexible and fluid. Ultimately, CRE will be a conveyor in delivering meaningful engagement and consultation.
The framework will ensure that partnerships are both culturally safe, reciprocal in nature and reflective of the CRE’s mission and values.
- Reciprocity: Ensuring relationships built are reciprocal in nature and have the best interest of Indigenous youth in mind. Respecting the value in their voice and perspectives.
- Cultural Humility: Ensuring that Network members and partners prioritize the safety of Indigenous youth. Ensuring work is distinctions based and culturally relevant. Focused on embedding anti-oppressive and harm reduction practices in all of the work we do.
- Data Governance: Ensuring the sovereignty and privacy of data collected respects Indigenous rights to their own information.
- Additional information will be posted as The Network continues to grow. Each time the Engagement Framework is updated- it will be posted here.
Join the Network Form
Organizations and Groups Form
Request for Engagement Form
If you have any questions, please reach out to us via email at email@example.com
Once your request is submitted, you will be contacted within 2 business days. Thank you for your efforts to make engagement a more meaningful and reflective experience for Indigenous youth.
For further inquiries and to learn about how to get involved in The Network and other engagement opportunities through CRE, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org