- In July 2020, the Canadian Roots Exchange (CRE) received reports of inappropriate behaviour by senior leadership and on September 1, 2020 Miyo Pimatsiwin Legal Services was contracted by the Board of Directors to commission a formal workplace investigation into the allegations.
- The investigation report concluded that there was a need for organization-wide systemic changes to policy and procedures and resulted in recommendations in the following areas: CRE Accountability measures, repairing and rebuilding relationships, Action Plan for Leadership and Implementation, and CRE Organization, Operation and Oversight.
- Senior management and the Board of Directors are firmly committed to ensuring CRE rebuilds a culture of safety, respect and transparency.
- We have completed a review of all CRE policies and procedures. We have assembled clear and comprehensive policies and procedures that include: guidance on confidentiality and privacy law restrictions, clear conflict of interest guidelines and complaint processes, grievance procedures, trauma-informed practices, provincial occupational health and human rights legislation. Our review is now complete and all necessary revisions have been put in place.
- The cornerstone throughout many Indigenous teachings are based on relationships and the interconnectedness of those relationships in time and space. We would like to offer our sincere gratitude to everyone who shared their truths, stories, experiences and suggestions for improvement. Without your commitment of time, energy and emotional labour to foster relationships with CRE, we would not be in the position we are today. CRE is committed to maintaining and honouring these relationships to ensure they are met with integrity and reciprocity. We will continue to work on any and all improvements needed to rebuild trust along our journey to improvement and to ensure the success of CRE.
- Where we go from here, will be to ensure we remain accountable to the communities we serve and courageous enough to continue to be open to truth and wisdom to do better. We have to do better. Miigwetch for believing in us and continuing to support our journey. Giizaagin.
CRE Board of Directors